I love cooking for Valentine’s Day. Or any occasion, as you know. I know that’s not the case for everyone, so this Valentine’s Day guide includes a little bit of everything. You’ll find some of my favorite main dish and dessert recipes below, but first check out some of my favorite local makers for gifts. And, of course, I offer up some great Twin Cities dinner date spots for those who are looking for a night out.
If you want to keep it simple or have kids, start out with the easiest sugar cookies ever. They’re perfect for school or party treats!
Valentine’s Day Chocolates
We have some amazing local chocolate in the Twin Cities! You can find some at speciality stores or order online, and here are a few of my favorite places to shop local for special chocolates for a special occasion:
- Chocolate Celeste (652 Transfer Road, St. Paul): Made with local cream and butter, and the finest European chocolate, this is high-end chocolate that is definitely worth it!
- Sweet Stuff Minnesota: Cute, fun treats that are clever and full of whimsy. This online shop also has a pop-up at T.Rex Cookies in Eagan on Feb. 10.
- Rose Street Patisserie (171 Snelling Ave. N., St. Paul) and Patisserie 46 (4552 Grande Ave. S., Mpls.): The bon bon box from one of the first patisseries anywhere are fantastic and available for pre-order.
Three Valentine’s Day Gift Ideas
- Who isn’t familiar with Surdyk’s? I love the local liquor, deli and cheese shop because they have multiple locations and they sell almost everything you need for a fun Valentine’s night in.
- Golden Fig Fine Foods is another of my favorite local makers. It’s a one-stop-shop if you’re looking for spices or spice blends to cook a meal or a fun little gift.
- Try a cooking class from one of the amazing Twin Cities Cooking schools.
Valentine’s Day Restaurants