Chicken wings at the Super Bowl are like popcorn at the movies. There is something about a giant pile of hot wings and a bowl of creamy ranch dip that makes Super Bowl half time and those cheeky commercials even better. I look forward to the Super Bowl each year for three reasons: the food, half time, and the commercials—in that order.
My oven-baked chicken wings recipe was perfected back when the pandemic made eating wings in front of a giant screen TV, with 500 of your friends at the neighborhood bar a relic of the past. Now that I have an air fryer I wanted to see if I could build upon that recipe and make air fryer wings that would be easy and tasty. After perfecting this recipe and making air fryer salmon and Brussels sprouts – I have decided my air fryer is a keeper.
How to Make Perfect Air Fryer Wings
I asked my foodie friends and got the following suggestions for perfect air fryer wings:
- Coat them in aluminum-free baking powder before baking to dry them out for extra crispy skin.
- Shake in corn starch or flour and let sit overnight in the refrigerator to dry out.
- Cook in the Instant Pot for 5 minutes before air frying for 10 minutes.
- Pat them super dry before cooking.
- Cook them in small batches so they have lots of room to crisp up.
- Dip each chicken wing in oil and coat in spices.
- Use parchment paper inserts (the wings can get messy).
- 2-pound package chicken wings and drummies
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp melted unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon hot honey
- 2 Tbsp Franks Hot Sauce
- in a Ziploc bag toss chicken with baking powder, salt, and pepper until the pieces are thoroughly coated.
- Spread the pieces out on a rack placed on a rimmed baking sheet and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight
- Heat the air fryer to 400 degrees
- Arrange chicken on air fryer rack, with as much space around each one as possible. If you have a round basket stand them up in the basket. Fry until golden brown and crispy, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, melt together butter, honey, and hot sauce in the microwave
- Immediately transfer the fried chicken wings to the bowl with the honey sauce and toss well.
- Serve at once with your favorite dipping sauces